Countdown to Lameness?

Jeff at 11:17 am on Tuesday, June 12, 2007
Tagged: Update

Here’s an ample-sized load (thanks to BK’s Skate Daily for the heads up)… the International Olympic Committee is seriously considering adding skateboarding to the 2012 London Olympics. Maybe you’re thinking, “at least they’re giving us some measure of respect”? Well think again….

Can you guess who the IOC are proposing as a governing body? Get this… the Union Cycliste Internationale. That’s right, skateboarders are a bunch of teenage ne’er-do-wells who aren’t capable of organizing themselves.

Hmmmm… could this be an attempt by the IOC’s marketing division to convince the “average young person” that they should care about their elitist, gaudy, and corruption-ridden international circus? And could they possibly be trying to accomplish that goal without anyone from the IOC actually having to ever talk to a skateboarder? I wonder.

Skateboarding in the Olympics? The thought of it makes me retch. This guy agrees with me, albeit from a completely different angle (but hey… the enemy of my enemy is my ally, right?). What do you think?

Photo courtesy of midiman.

9 comments/responses

Comment - SHREDN

June 12, 2007 @ 12:04 pm

Fuck what IOC thinks about us! They’ll feel the same way about us untill they rip down a hill, let alone even step on a board.
Take this with how mant grains of sand as you wish, but I think it’s a great way to show the professinalism in our thrashn sport!

Comment - Josh

June 12, 2007 @ 12:30 pm

I would have to agree with you that skateboarding being bundled up with cycling is pretty lame (I have also written about this on my blog), but I am curious as to why you guys are against skateboarding in the Olympics. It’s not like it’s going to hurt skateboarding in any way.

I think it will end up being just like another X-games competition or something like that. People will watch and be like “Oh that was cool,” and then go watch something else. If anything it will help improve skateboardings image.

If it does end up becoming really lame, we can always just drop out of the Olympics, but we might as well give it a fair shot, don’t you think?

Comment - possessed

June 12, 2007 @ 12:45 pm

what the olympics has become is ridiculous. its not about the enjoyment and progress of the sports that it features, it is about, what else, money. skateboarding has become a huge deal, and there is lots of money being made from it, but anyone who skateboards knows that that is not what its about. why would the IOC want to add skateboarding now, after all these years? because they will make money from it. and the fact that they would have the UCI govern it is pretty much a slap in the face of skateboarders everywhere, who without the help of these “cyclists” have brought skateboarding to what it is today. why should we not govern it ourselves? i say, fuck the olympics and what it stands for. if they dont want to show skateboarders respect, then they dont deserve respect from us.

Comment - Josh

June 12, 2007 @ 1:33 pm

I think that the Olympics is still mainly about sports and competition for the main purpose of entertainment. Money is secondary to that. Of course they want more money, but that doesn’t mean that they are using skateboarding for the single purpose of making money. The addition of skateboarding to the Olympics would simply be another source of entertainment for certain groups of people, in my opinion.

Comment - Chris Young

June 13, 2007 @ 7:40 am

Just to get the facts straight, they’ve been talking to Tony Hawk, and the skateboarding industry for over 3 years. Also involved is Gary Ream, the owner of Woodward East/West, and Mike Jacki who’s the guy responsible for bringing snowboarding to the Olympics. The reason they’re going through the UCI? If you’ve ever looked into what it takes to create an International Governing Body, it’s miles beyond how difficult you could imagine, and thus, going through an established body like the UCI is the most direct path. Is it the right path? Only time will tell.

Comment - Jeff

June 13, 2007 @ 5:40 pm

“it’s miles beyond how difficult you could imagine” – I don’t doubt that for a second, but adding skateboarding as a sub-discipline of cycling? It seems so desperate. Nothing against the UCI… if they were offered the opportunity and agreed to give it a shot, there’s nothing wrong with that. They’re a proven international organization who do their job well. But if skateboarders want to be in the Olympics, then those guys/girls should get themselves organized and do it right. Sure, it’s a monumental job, but they owe it to themselves and their “sport”(?) to not present themselves as an afterthought. Maybe I’d feel differently if I owned a skateboard-related business.

I personally like the idea of what the Olympics are supposed to be: an international competition for elite-level amateur athletes with an emphasis on sportsmanship and harmony between countries. Putting the politics behind and just celebrating athleticism in its purest form. But, with a few notable exceptions, what the Olympics have become is far from that.

Pingback - Vancouver Skateboard Coalition » Skateboarding an Olympic Cycling Sport?! Now It’s Starting to Make Sense

June 18, 2007 @ 8:04 am

[…] mentioned below that Tony Hawk has apparently been involved in the process of trying to get skateboarding […]

Comment - nurmi

September 2, 2007 @ 11:46 am

I will be at the next meeting, with a tonof new info on this subject.
For the record CASA as well as the large majority of international skateboard assc. have been working with the ISF in regaurds to this program, and frankly it is much more indepth than you might know.
If you have any questions about how and who is involved, please drop me a line , or I will see you at the next meeting.
nurmi
rob@ca-sa.ca thenurmis@gmail.com

Comment - Petr

December 11, 2007 @ 12:24 pm

verwolf130678

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.